Sunday, June 6, 2010

How To Be Thankful

Thankfulness can be defined as a gracious attitude toward someone when you have received something from them. But am I gracious? Sometimes I tend to think I deserve more. Perhaps I even feel insulted by what a person gives me or doesn’t give me. So how can I have a Christlike thankful attitude? I need the Attitude of Gratitude.

There are 3 facts that will help us to always have the attitude of thanksgiving.


1. Always Remember We Deserve Nothing. We live in a culture that teaches its citizen that there are certain things we deserve. We believe we deserve a nicer car, bigger house, fine dining, nice clothes, a grand vacation, a pay raise. I do not think there is anything wrong with being compensated for hard work or using the money God has blessed you with to enjoy luxuries in life. But we must always remember that we deserve nothing. In fact, if that statement isn’t completely true. According to God’s Word, we deserve to go to the place called hell. (Rom 6:23) For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. I deserve death because I am a sinner before a holy, righteous, perfect God. If I receive anything more than this, God has been good to me. God gave more more than I deserved when he demonstrated his love toward me on Calvary. (Rom 5:8) But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Not only did God give me more than I deserved by sending his Son to die in my place, but he also daily administers benefits in my life. (Psa 68:19) Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah. Think about, We deserve nothing, but through Christ we have received more than we could have ever imagined.


2. It Is Okay For Others To Have Nicer Things Than Me. Many times we are ungrateful or unthankful because someone else got what we wanted. This reality immediate steals our gratitude and runs away. We are perfectly content with the car we drive, until our friend rolls up in his new ride. As soon as they leave we surf the web to see how we can sell our old rust bucket and afford a newer car. It is difficult to be happy for others and thankful for what God has given us when other people have nicer stuff. (Php 2:3) Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. I opposition to point #1, if we will think that they deserve that, I don’t, thankfulness will never depart from our heart. Instead of being jealous, believe that they earned it, they deserve that, I don’t. Continue to be content with all God has given you.


3. Stuff Won’t Last. Usually our thankfulness or lack thereof revolves around material possessions or temporal recognition. We don’t usually complain because others receive the opportunity to work on the bus route and I didn’t. However, we may be upset because he was chosen to sing the solo, and I was robbed. We aren’t usually unthankful when someone else is chosen to clean up the room, but we do get upset when Bill gets a pay raise and we didn’t. You see, we can easily be upset over temporal recognition and/or material possession. Remember that these things won’t last. (1Pe 1Pe 1:24-25 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: (25) But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you. If we will remember that Cars and house are not the point of this life, we won’t mind not having the nicest one on the block. Unthankfulness is a sign of the last days. (2Ti 3:1-2) This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,. May we as Christians strive to not be a sign of the times. My we endeavor to a thankful people continually realizing that God has given us more than any one else.

Ways To Display Gratitude

Say It

-When someone does something nice for you, tell them. When I leave our Church office, I make it a habit to say thank you. Sometimes I just go in check my box and leave, but I still say thank you. Why, because I want it to be a habit in my life. Those ladies are constantly doing work for me and I want them to know I’m thankful. I try always to say it to people no matter what, not because I’m faking it, but because God is using them to work in my life whether I recognize it or not.

Write It

-Writing a letter of gratitude works wonders. I know of people who have been given large amounts of money and never said thank you. I also know the people that gave the money would never given them another dime because of their lack of gratitude. Sometimes it pays to be thankful.

Show It

-Many times an act of kindness can do more to impact people and glorify God than saying something or writing something. Buy them their favorite candy, soda, gum. When you are on vacation buy them a book or something that reminds you of them. Maybe you just help them with a chore because they helped you. This demonstrates that you are thankful for the contribution they made into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment